Saturday, December 29, 2007

Top reasons to love Macs


I've only had a new Mac laptop for about a week now, but it's been a great experience and a refreshing one after being a PC user for nine years. Without further ado, here are my top reasons why I love my new Mac.





  • Stacks
    push away all those lesser used, but neccessary applications to a stock, or add the Adobe suite to a stack to restore valuble space to the dock (got this idea from Lifehacker)
    (Leopard only)
  • Exposé
    One thing windows should try to copy. . PC users can get Switcher 2
  • The Dock
    Essential to my launching apps fast. . .sorry quick launch bigger icons are better. Windows users can get Object Dock
  • keyboard shortcuts
    see Switching to Mac - keyboard shortcuts
  • Less digging through menus
    Mac menus are simplified, especially when dealing with preferences (options). Most things, like setting display preferences are much faster, and I can even open my system preferences with one click from the dock--it doesn't get any better than that.
  • Run Windows Virtually, or in Boot Camp
    Parallels is an excellent way to run both Windows and OS X simultaneously. You can switch back and forth. . and don't worry, if Windows kicks the bucket, it's a short 30 minute virtual reinstall away. Boot Camp now lets gamers and others run more intensive PC apps natively, which requires a restart, but may entice many current PC users to make the switch to Mac.
  • Learn Linux Virtually
    Someday I'll learn to use Ubuntu Linux or Knoppix through a Parallels virtual machine on my Mac.
  • Frontrow
    For multimedia and a home theater experience, it doesn't get any better than this! All the new iMacs and laptops come with remotes to boot!!
  • Built in functionality means less freeware apps to download
    On the PC I used Irfanview, Comodo Pro Firewall, and tried Object Dock for a while. Preview is a prime example of this--no acrobat reader necessary.
  • No balloon notification madness
    I despised these on PC's. They would always interrupt my work and annoyed the hell out of me, even though I was a seasoned PC user they were an unnecessary evil.
  • Mac OS updates are not an issue
    Updating Mac OS doesn't bother me, however by default on XP machines they will try to restart every five minutes after an update is downloaded unless the update settings are changed in the control panel. . I had to keep checking the machine to make sure it wouldn't turn off while I stepped away for ten minutes. The balloon icons to install the updates never stop bothering you!
  • No Spyware/Adware
    Mac OS does not only have spyware, it's safeguarded against it by default. When applications want to install, or system changes are going to be made, you have to enter your account password. Microsoft are you listening?
  • Preview
    No need to download acrobat reader to open PDF files, and it's a great image viewer and allows quick, easy slideshows, even for RAW images
  • Screenshot Capability
    Just during the writing of this post, I've used the keyboard shortcuts to take several screenshots and select areas quickly. . .as a web designer and PC trainer easy screenshot capabilites are invaluable.
  • Backlit Keyboard
    An excellent showcase for Apple. . .and a nice thing to have in dimly lit rooms.
    (MacBook Pro only)
  • No pesky startup items
    Most common applications you install on a PC will place themselves into the startup, slowing down the machine when logging in, and lowering the user's available RAM. Shame on Microsoft for not making the startup items easily accessible and comprehensible, especially to the average user. My new Mac only has one startup item, the Microsoft Office updater--how ironic!! At this point I would have had to remove Quicktime, MSN Messenger, and other from my PC startup list. Whenever I help a Windows user who says their computer is running slow, I simply check the startup items in Msconfig and voila--after cleaning out several entries, their computer has some of its speed back.
  • It's not Vista
    Vista has too many problems and a service pack to clean up the mess is still a few months away as of this writing (Dec. 2007). Apple is going to get a real shot in the arm from the Vista users bailing out on Microsoft. Leopard vs. Vista. . Leopard wins hands down. See The Road Ahead: Leopard and Vista
  • No Drivers to install
    I have to hand it to Apple for this one. No drivers. That's impossible. Not on a Mac. I'm fairly comfortable with installing drivers, but if I don't know a computer's hardware, that makes the job much more difficult than a Google search for the manufacturer's website. Drivers are especially a pain with Vista. . .
  • The new Finder Sidebar
    Not only does the new finder sidebar save me time, but it allows me to add my own folders for quick access and shows all my attached devices for easy access without going to the desktop. Yes, Vista does have this, but XP could have had a custom menu.
    (Leopard only)
  • Display preferences appear on both monitors
    This is invaluable when configuring dual displays, and exceptionally user-friendly and straight forward. Good work Apple!!
  • Searchable help
    I'm not sure if this is only in Leopard, but the searchable help is fantastic. Immediately after I start typing anything, a list pops up with the relevant topics in the help file. This means no more digging through help files to find an answer!
  • Widgets
    They are great. . .I can check the weather for the two cities I live in, see stock quotes, and much more--and they can be displayed/hidden easily
  • Less application crashes
    I'll admit, applications didn't crash on my PC that often, but I'm not an average user with spyware, viruses, and fragmented OS on my hands. I've been running my new Mac laptop for a week without an application crashing--that's almost impossible on PC.
  • No crash reporting
    When applications do crash, I don't get asked to report it to Microsoft (I turned this feature off in XP immediately, it was irritating and wasted my time.) One of the worst annoyances in Windows--but hey, if it helps Microsoft's OS and software to crash less, all the better.
Other bonuses:
  • Multimedia included
    I know that I have essential multimedia applications available even though I'll rarely use them. . . but PC's are extremely crippled out of the box when it comes to multimedia apps
  • They're great for the whole family
    Photobooth, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, and GarageBand, are worth part of the extra premium you pay for Macs, with PC's you'd have to spend at least $50 on each type of application to get something even remotely comparable. . .
  • The fun factor
    In the first 20 minutes that I was using my new mac, my family crowded around my laptop to have some fun with Photo Booth. . you just don't get this kind of experience on a PC. . .at least not before configuring the webcam, downloading the software for it, etc.
  • Macs aren't ugly
    Most PC users will argue that some people like Macs just because of the way they look, and yes I'm sure some people buy Macs to be hip, but Macs are much more than just than just eye candy.

Share your experiences with Macs. Love them? Hate them? Do they help spend less time solving issues and more time getting work done?

Please email me with any comments and stories. (My email is on the right column).

No comments: